May 29, 2011

Birthday Bash!

Yesterday we celebrated Jude's 1st Birthday! I had so much fun both preparing and partying! We went with the "banner" theme since I'm kind of a sucker for them. Emily helped me pair the red and the aqua/teal together and I love it! We designed the invitations by sending them back and forth over email. We decided to put aqua/white stripes on the back of the card which was so cute. But, when I printed them I was in such a frazzled state of mind that I forgot to print the design on the back. Stupid.

A couple of weeks ago I made the fabric banner to hang in my dining room. Looks adorable. I would probably keep it up there for a good month if I didn't have to figure out a way to rationalize it to Jesse.

We set up two tables - this one inside and another outside - since our house is too small to fit all of Jude's admirers. Most of the party happened outside. I decorated the other table too, but didn't get a picture of it in the midst of the celebratory chaos.

I saw this tutorial for party hats and just had to do it. I only made enough for Jude, myself and the other kids who were attending. They're somewhat time consuming but totally worth it in my opinion. Although, let's be honest, my opinion is pretty skewed.

I printed stripes onto cardstock and used that for my hats. The pom-poms are made from red tissue paper. I used elastic thread rather than ribbon for the tie.

Rather than fussing over a large cake (which usually don't turn out for me) I settled for cupcakes instead. I made little flags for them and they fit my theme nicely. Easy. I used a frosting tip to decorate the tops. I much preferred to frost them that way and I think it looks better in the end. Who knew I would like using these frosting tip thingys so much?

In my head I thought it would be fun to break out the bean bag toss game and maybe put together a championship bracket. I never got around to the bracket (maybe I'll use a similar idea for something else in the future), but I did make some bean bags to match the party theme, and they did get used a little.

I used this idea for the numbers. I thought the idea was intriguing and maybe we'll get some use out of them in the future.

I love this little picture of the birthday boy. Such a happy little thing.

He ate his cupcake in good form. Used his classic pincer grasp for the first 3/4 then had a couple of good fist-full shove-ins near the end. Atta kid.

He received many toys and I believe our toy options have now doubled. My favorite was the red wagon he got from his grandparents and aunts & uncles. We dumped out all the parts and began assembling it on the spot. We had four former/current John Deere employees in attendance, so you might as well take advantage of the engineering expertise, right? It almost got the best of them, but they did it!

Course, as we were all centered in on the wagon Jude crawled out of the circle to find a plate that one of his cousins left behind. He went straight for the cupcake and had round two! Funny boy! Got himself all frosted up and required a change.

After he was all cleaned up again we took him for a spin in the new wheels.

I think he likes it!

2 comments:

  1. What awesome invitations! I think Jude and my little guy would be such good pals...they seem so much alike! Love the wagon...summer fun ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to (your) Jude! What a beautiful party, I love the colors! And happy giving-birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete