August 10, 2009

Festivities

I've been thinking about this project for a little while. I've run across the idea on several blogs, and thought it was cute, so it's been on my list to create. It's perfect party decor that I can pull out for any casual party. Last week, I finished it just in time to use it for my mother-in-law's retirement party that I hosted at my home.

Here it is: a really long flag garland . . .






I was able to use fabrics that I already had on hand, which made this project cheap. Love that. I also made binding for the first time (using a tutorial here to figure out how to connect my strips together) for the "string". Hopefully I can put that knowledge to further use with a quilt down the road.

Someday when I have kids I think it would be fun to make a garland like this (although probably shorter as this one took me a lot more time that I expected) for each child. Wouldn't it be fun to bring it out each year to decorate for their birthdays? Seems like it could be a fun tradition.

1 comment:

  1. Our kids are going to have their own garlands. I don't know how I feel about that.

    "Hey little Timmy... we wanted to make your 8th birthday extra special this year. That new video game? Nope... a bike? Try again. You guessed it: another pice of fabric on your garland! Alright!"

    Here's to gifts that are more fun for you to make than our kids to receive. ;)

    ReplyDelete