February 1, 2010

A Purse for Em

I get the privilege of sharing my birthday with one of my very favorite people. It sounds a little weird coming from someone who shares her exact same DNA, but I could go on and on about her. She is fun-loving, instantly lovable, kind, generous, incredibly competent, responsible, joyful and she always gives others the benefit of the doubt (including me). I love her with my whole heart and I can't imagine my life without her.

Every year I think . . . this is the year that I will be able to put together a package and send it just in time for our birthday . . . and every year (for some reason or another) I fail. How is that possible? Thankfully, this year (and maybe for the first time) she also sent a gift to me late too. Whew.


For several months, I had intended to make a purse for her, but I just hadn't decided on a pattern, that is, until I came across this one. I think it's perfect for her. Just dainty enough and just practical enough.


I picked up the Amy Butler print at a local quilt shop, and I'm so happy with the way it turned out. I used a pretty stiff pellon/interfacing to help the purse keep shape. For some reason, though, the only kind of interfacing I could find was REALLY stiff. My mom and I laughed and laughed as I forced it through my machine - I think she was actually just in shock. And, then we laughed again as I attempted to turn it inside out when it was completed. Let's just say it took a lot of muscle and some bizarre contortions to make it work.

Course, it wasn't until I was finished that I realized I sewed the handle on inside out. Ugh! The navy blue on the outside of the handle really should be the lining, but after all that effort my mom and I collectively decided (or somehow just convinced ourselves) it looked just as good on the outside. So, shhhh, don't tell anyone.

Happy birthday to you, Em. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment