May 6, 2010

Mobile

Ahh, the mobile. How do you say that word, anyway? It's so awkward. I frequently use the "moble" or "mo-byle" versions rather than the "mo-beel" version. But, all of them are kinda weird, don't you think?

So, this little project has been swimming around in my head for a really long time - pretty much since I got pregnant - or maybe before. I'm not sure what took me so long to actually create it. I think I just kept grabbing all these different things and colors that could be added to it and eventually I wasn't sure if I liked it anymore. I definitely lost the vision somewhere in the mix and it took me a long time to come back around full circle. Aren't some projects funny like that sometimes?

Thankfully, I was saved by my good friend Lauren who talked me through the possibilities and we settled on a very simple version. It was exactly what I needed.

(Do you love how dramatic this story is so far? It's like my whole life is hinging on how well this "moble" turns out. That's funny.)

Anyway, my inspiration came from Pottery Barn Kids' butterfly chandelier.


And, here's how it turned out.




Yep, very simple. I spray painted two embroidery hoops and used them as the anchor rings. Then, I painted three curtain rings that my mom had on hand for the circles at the top. When it came time to put it all together, Lauren cut out the paper circles while I attempted to engineer the embroidery hoops to cooperate with one another and hang parallel. Had I been better at physics in school I may have been more efficient, but it worked out okay. Eventually, I hot glued pennies between the circles so that they would be heavy enough to hang straight, and then tied them all on using sewing thread. Worked beautifully.

Hopefully the little guy finds it somewhat amusing. I suppose even if he doesn't, I do. I like the way it flutters when the fan is turned on in his room. Not that I sit in there and stare at it or anything . . . oh, wait.

5 comments:

  1. I have been known to sit in the nursery. I think because it is the only room in the house that is clean and totally organized. I like that so there I sit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! So clean and cool. I'm working on a "moble" too for our nursery and am feeling the same way as you were...losing my original vision. Hopefully I'll get something up there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet he will love looking at that! We never had one, but when Huck visited his cousin who does, he couldn't stop staring at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're so crafty erin dear! i love it! i want one for my room... with beads and bright colors. :)

    ReplyDelete